Sunday, December 12, 2010

My Husband's Favorite Dinner

Cheddar Chicken Casserole

1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts 
3 green onions, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
3 cups cooked angel hair pasta
1/3 -1/4 lb grated cheddar cheese
1/2 pkg cashews
2 - 10.75 oz cans cream of chicken soup
3/4 cup crushed cheddar cheese crackers


Simmer chicken, green onions and celery until tender, about 25-30 minutes. Strain, reserving 2/3 cup of the broth. In a 9x13 pan, layer the noodles, cheese, chicken and cashews. Combine the reserved broth with the soup. Pour over the top and add the crackers. Bake uncovered at 350 for 30 minutes.


Notes: I have lots of notes on this recipe. 
I add chicken bouillon cubes when I'm boiling my chicken makes the sauce taste better. 
If you're in a pinch and don't have green onions you can use dried minced onions about 1-2 Tbs 
When you strain the chicken and reserve the broth you can either choose the keep the celery and use it in the casserole or just dump them. Some people like the celery some people don't so it's really up to you.
You can use any pasta in place of the angel hair. 
I like to use goldfish as the cheese crackers and leave some of them uncrushed so my toddler sees the fishies.

No comments:

Post a Comment